Gail Lowe – Principal and Head Teacher
My name is Gail Lowe I am principal of Devon Academy of Complementary Therapies which I established in 2004 after helping my partner with his disappointing massage training and teaching at a local College for a year, I realised that I wanted to improve the training and delivery of the ITEC and CPD courses available in the industry, if only for my own students.
I came into massage from a medical background, general and psychiatric nursing as well as being a medical rep’ for Pfizer for a few years. I have been lucky enough to have a very successful full time career as a therapist and built an excellent reputation in Barnstaple massaging and teaching in and around the NHS for the last 29 years. Now I train doctors, nurses, physiotherapists among others, in the ancient and therapeutic art of massage and I love it!
A variety of therapeutic massage techniques and clinical aromatherapy is what I offer at Devon Academy and all of my teaching colleagues are experienced massage therapists, still in clinical practice and keeping in touch with clients on the “coal face” rather than just in the classroom.
- I specialise in Massage training because that’s what I know and have been doing successfully since 1986. My classes are small so that my students have personal, individual training and support.
- I am passionate and enthusiastic and have taught over 1700 students in 11 years and have achieved a consistent 100% pass rate and a below average drop out rate.
- I teach very thorough, tried and tested massage techniques and believe that initially you are only as good a therapist, as the person who taught you!
- My online learning for the Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology and theory aspects of the course are fun, innovative and professional. My students are very happy with their elearning course and feedback is excellent
- I am very interested in delivering the “whole package” as a massage career, not just the training, but support, advice and mentoring to help you succeed in your new business. Sharing my knowledge and experience along the way, offering “one to one” and bespoke courses and a full range of CPD workshops to keep you at the “top of your game and better than your competitors” I love the One to One sessions as “It allows me the freedom to go “off piste” and adapt the sessions to suit the individual therapists needs rather than being restricted by a syllabus.
“I trained with some of the Industries best and most famous therapists and authors“!
- Professor Arnold Taylor founder of ITEC – Gail studied AP&P with him at Imperial College, London in 1986
- Shirley Price, Aromatherapist and author – Gail studied aromatherapy with her in Hinckley in 1989
- Lars Peterson author of Sports Injuries – Gail studied Remedial Massage at the NIM with him in Blackpool in 1993
- Eddie Caldwell founder of Northern Institute of Massage, recommended by the BMA in 1994
- At Devon Academy her passion and dedication makes her an inspiration for her students of all ages and all walks of life. She has a very different approach to teaching and believes that this appeals to all types of students whatever their needs.
Derek Lowe – Part time tutor
Derek has 25 years business experience in the hotel industry and after being greatly inspired by Gail’s success and career was prompted to become her first student and to follow her foot steps in the massage industry in 2004. Derek is a qualified teacher and a practicing therapist who teaches Reflexology part time for Devon Academy. He has his own practice at MCC Wellbeing and specialises in offering treatments to elderly patients in Care Homes as well as treatments to local Businesses and Offices around Exeter.